Our Story | Our Coffee | Our Tea | Recipes & Pairings | Sustainability | Auto Delivery
Irish Soda Bread Recipe
Enjoy this bread warm with a little butter and a smooth cup of Gevalia Irish Crème coffee.
Prep Time: 15 minTotal Time: 1 hr 15 min Serving Size: 16 servings, 1 wedge each
- 3-1/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. CALUMET Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup currants or raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix flour, 1/3 cup of the sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add buttermilk and currants; mix just until moistened.
- Place dough on floured surface; knead 10 times. Shape into round loaf, 2-1/2 inches thick. Place on greased baking sheet.
- Cut deep 1/2-inch "X" in top of dough. Sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbsp. sugar.
- Bake 1 hour or until golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into 16 wedges to serve.